A.1 ABOUT US
Energy Scanner Limited (a company registered in England and Wales under company number 9801876 with its registered office at Berger House 36-38 Berkeley Square London United Kingdom W1J 5AE) (We, our or us) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy (together with our Terms of Website Use and the other documents referred to in them) explains how we collect, store and use personal data about you when you browse www.energy-scanner.com (our Website), enter into an agreement with an electricity and/or gas supplier registered on our website (Energy Supplier) or otherwise provide your personal data to us.
Energy Scanner Limited is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner Office in the UK under registration number ZA153837. It is our intention to comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act).
Please check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they have effect from the date of such change.
A.3 INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
You may give us information about your business and about you as a representative of your business by:
- filling in forms on our Website;
- corresponding with us; or
- by telephone, e-mail or otherwise.
This may include information you provide when:
- you register or otherwise submit details on behalf of your business to use our Website;
- you search for an electricity or gas service on our Website on behalf of your business;
- you enter on behalf of your business into an agreement with a Energy Supplier on or through our Website;
- you report a problem with our Website to us; or
- you send us a query or make a complaint about our handling of information.
The information you give us (some or all of which may constitute personal data, depending on its ability to identify a natural individual) may include:
- your name, business title, address, email address and telephone number in your capacity as a representative of your business;
- online user account details, profile or password details;
- information you provide regarding your marketing preferences;
- contact and other relevant details concerning other staff within your business;
- additional contact information about you that we may obtain through third parties with whom we do business (eg credit reference agencies or your current electricity and/or gas supplier(s));
- your financial and credit card information;
- corporate information about your business, including name, type, registration number and business profile;
- location information about your business (including postcode information and details of the meter located at your business premises); and
- information about your business’ current electricity and/or gas usage, including estimated day/night usage, current supplier, payment information and current energy supply agreement end date.
When you visit our Website, we may automatically collect technical information, including:
- the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the internet; and
- your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform.
We may also collect information about your visit, including:
- the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream through and from our Website (including date and time);
- services that you viewed or searched for;
- page response times;
- download errors;
- length of visits to certain pages;
- page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs); and
- methods used to browse away from the page; and
- any telephone number used to call us.
We may also receive information about you from third parties we are working closely with including, for example:
- your existing electricity or gas supplier, and/or the Energy Suppliers; and
- sub-contractors in technical and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, and credit reference agencies.
A.4 HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
By using our Website or providing us with your contact details via the Website or entering into agreements with a Energy Supplier through our Website, you agree that your information may be used by us and be disclosed by us to third parties who are carefully selected by us including our Energy Suppliers for any of the following purposes:
- to provide you with a personalised browsing experience when using our Website;
- to fulfil any contractual agreements between you and a Energy Supplier (for example, when you enter into an agreement with that Supplier on the Website);
- to send you details (including by post, telephone, e-mail or SMS) of products and services which we think may interest you, and send you offers and promotions unless you inform us in writing that you do not want to receive these details;
- to provide the services that you request, such as to facilitate energy supply agreements, send a confirmation of your business registering to use the Website, send you a contract summary message once your business’ contract has been successfully generated and provide other information about the services and a Energy Supplier or other service provider;
- to access specific account information for administrative purposes and to keep you informed of your business’ account status and activities;
- to send you periodic customer satisfaction, market research or quality assurance surveys;
- to service and manage your business’ account and services preferences;
- to understand your needs;
- to learn about our markets and improve our services;
- to protect our rights and property; and
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
In addition, we may disclose your personal data to third parties and we (or third parties acting on our behalf) may also store or process information that we collect about you in countries outside the European Economic Area, which may have lower standards of data protection.
The personal data that you provide to us for entering into an agreement with an Energy Supplier is made available to the applicable Supplier for the purposes of administering and operating your energy supply agreement, and providing you with the energy service(s) which you have requested. When you submit personal data when using the Website (including if we provide you with referrals to an Energy Supplier and if you enter into an energy supply agreement with an Energy Supplier) we retain your personal data including details of your energy needs, referrals and Energy Supplier, so that we can better help you meet your energy needs in the future.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes.
We will give you the option (at the point of collecting your personal data) if we intend to use your personal data to provide you with quotes in the future or tell you about other products and services by asking that you check certain boxes on forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise your right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes at any time by contacting us at [insert opt-out email address].
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the Websites of our partner networks, advertisers, affiliates and Energy Suppliers. If you follow a link to any of these Websites, please note that these Websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these Websites.
We have put in place technical and organisational security measures designed to prevent the loss or unauthorised access of your personal information. However, whilst we have used our best efforts to ensure the security of your personal data, please be aware that we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted over the internet.
We sometimes aggregate statistics about visitors to our Website (including those have provided us with a contact email address or other details via the Website) to enable us to operate more effectively, but these statistics will not include information from which individuals can be identified.
A.5 SOCIAL MEDIA
You can access and link to our Website from social media websites, such as LinkedIn. [You can link your social media accounts with the details that your business is required to provide to use our Website.]
You will be solely responsible for and are the sole author of the content of any contribution you may make to your social media accounts whether accessed via our Website or otherwise. We have no control over the contents of social media websites.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed including unique IP addresses or device identifiers associated with mobiles devices, and Websites visited before or after visiting our Website. We will use this information to make our Website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
[We use Google Analytics . For information on how Google processes and collects your information in regard to this product and how you can opt-out, please see here [insert link].]
[We also use Google AdSense to publish adverts. When you view or click on an advert a cookie will be set to help better provide advertisements that may be of interest to you on this and other websites. You may opt-out of the use of this cookie by visiting Google’s Advertising and Privacy here [insert link].]
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser or app that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our Website or some features, services or activities that are available on our Website may be adversely affected and you may be unable to perform certain transactions, use certain functionality, and access certain content.
A.7 ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION AND CHANGES TO IT
Our intention is that you should only receive email communications that will be useful to you and that you want to receive, so we provide you the ability to define and modify your mailing preferences online at any time including unsubscribing from all marketing communications, offers and promotions and research surveys. You can unsubscribe from any of our email programs by following the instructions in relation to opting out of future emails in any email you receive from us.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you have any questions about how we collect, store and use your information, you may contact us by e-mailing us at email@example.com.