Frequently asked questions

Click on a frequently asked question below to view the answer

If I select a supplier and sign my contract via your site is this signature legally binding?

Our suppliers accept contracts signed online. We use a well established and trusted electronic signing service, which is both legally binding and secure.

Back to top

Why should I use your service rather than go directly to the supplier?

We have negotiated special prices with a range of suppliers. If you go direct to one supplier, you may not get the best deal for your business. In addition we handle any issues that may arise, validate your contract and track it all the way to make sure that it is processed as quickly as possible.

Back to top

What are MPAN and MPRN, and where can I get these?

We find these based on your address. The MPAN relates to your electricity supply and is the Meter Point Administration Number, it is unique to the property. It is found on the electricity bill issued by your current electricity supplier. If you cannot find it then contact us using the Live Chat facility and we will be happy to help you.

The MPRN relates to your gas supply and is the Meter Point Reference Number, again it is unique to the property. It is found on the gas bill issued by your current gas supplier. If you cannot find it then contact us using the Live Chat facility and we will be happy to help you.

Back to top

Where do I find my Contract End Date and why is this so important?

The first place to look is in your contract with your current supplier. If you cannot find it there or cannot find your contract then contact us using the Live Chat facility and we will be happy to help you. It is very important that you know this date if you want to change your supply. If you quote the wrong date your supply application can and will likely be rejected. If you wait too long it may be possible that your supply arrangements will automatically renew and then you may have to pay a termination fee if you want to move your supply. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU KNOW YOUR CONTRACT END DATE.

Back to top

What is the Supply Type and how do I know what my Supply Type is?

The Supply Type is simply a generic name given by the suppliers to the type of supply arrangements at your property. There are a number of Supply Types and these relate to the level of consumption, the way the energy is used at the property and the manner in which the energy is metered. The most common Supply Types include Standard ( a single meter), Evening Weekend (comprising of 2 meters), Economy 7 (again comprising 2 meters) and Off-peak ( can be a multiple of meters).The Supply Type should be indicated on your bill but if not it is possible to get this from the MPAN number. If you are unsure of your Supply Type you should again contact us using the Live Chat facility and we will be happy to help you.

Back to top

Who will I be contracting with?

You will be entering into a contract with the supplier that provides the Price Plan you have selected. By using our platform you are making an application for supply and the supplier will then confirm that they have accepted this application, and that your supply has been transferred to them. If there is a problem transferring your supply then they should let you know this before your existing Contract End Date.

Back to top

Who terminates my existing supply?

You have to terminate your existing supply yourself. We provide you with a Standard Termination Letter as part of the Application process but you are required to send this to your current supplier. You should contact us using the Live Chat facility and we will be happy to help you.

Back to top

How soon can I apply to have a new supply deal?

The earliest you can apply for a new supply arrangement is 120 days prior to the Contract End Date of your existing supply.

Back to top

If I do change supplier, will any of my supply equipment need changing?

No. Your gas and electricity will still be supplied to you through your existing equipment. The only difference will be who sends you the bill.

Back to top

Who is my Supplier?

If you’re not sure who your Supplier please call your local Distribution Business who can find out this information for you on:

Region Distribution Company MPAS Number
Eastern UK Power Networks 0870 196 3082
East Midlands Central Networks East 0845 603 0618
London UK Power Networks 0845 600 0102
North Wales, Merseyside and parts of Shropshire SP Distribution 0845 279 9101
West Midlands Central Networks 0845 603 0618
North East Northern Power Grid 0845 601 3268
North West Electricity North West 0870 751 0093
North Scotland SSE 0870 900 9690
South Scotland SP Distribution 0845 270 9101
South East UK Power Networks 0845 601 5467
Southern SSE 0845 601 5467
South Wales Western Power Distribution 0845 601 5972
South West Western Power Distribution 0845 601 5972
Yorkshire Northern Power Grid 0845 330 0889

Back to top

Do I have a cooling off period?

No. As a business you do not have a cooling off period so you need to make sure that you are committed to see through your contract obligations before signing. You should therefore read your Supply Agreement very carefully to see what your obligations are and what period of time your contract will run for.

Back to top

Can I terminate my Supply Contract at any time during the agreed term?

There will be termination provisions within your contract. To find out how you can terminate and what the penalties will be you should look closely at the Supply Agreement you have signed.

Back to top

What is the Supply Start Date (SSD)?

This is the day your new supply will start. There may be a case when there is a gap between the Contract End Date and your SSD. In this event you may be charged on “out of contract” or “deemed” rate by your current Supplier until your new supply contract is signed. Please note these rates will normally be higher than your contracted rates. To avoid this you should apply for a new supply arrangement as early as possible and provide as much accurate information as possible. Energy Scanner can help you find a better deal for your business.

Back to top

What are “out of contract” or “deemed” rates?

They are surprisingly common. 45% of businesses are on deemed rates according to Ofgem, the market regulator.

If you haven’t actively signed a contract with an energy company in a recent period (say, 12 months ago), chances are you’re on a deemed rate.

These rates are higher than what you would consider normal market rates; ranging up to 100-110% higher than the rates applying when you sign a contract.

So how do you know if you’re on a deemed rate?

These rates generally apply when:

  • an existing contract with your supplier has expired, and the business has not actively signed a new contract (you’ll still be getting a bill from the same supplier but the rates will have changed);
  • a business moves into a property; or
  • a business actively terminates its existing contract, but fails to actively sign a new contract and switch supplier.

Finally, check your bill and compare the standing change and unit rates with the rates on energy-scanner.com

The upside, if there is one, is that it only takes a maximum of 28 days notice to switch from this arrangement on to something cheaper.

Back to top

What is Half Hourly Metering (HH) and Non Half Hourly Metering?

HH is a common term used for properties that use more than 100kW of electricity demand. The meters installed usually measure on a half hourly basis the property consumption of electricity. If you have a Half Hourly meter installed your MPAN number will normally start with 00.You should ensure that the Price Plan you select is an HH Price Plan (this will normally be stated somewhere on the description).

NHH is a common term used for properties that use less than 100kW of electricity demand. The meters are usually manually read or more can be AMRs (Automatic Meter Readings).The MPAN codes will likely start with 03 to 08.Again you should check that any Price Plan you select does not have HH in the name or description.

Back to top

Am I exempt from paying CCL?

You should contact HMRC to find out if you have an exemption. Call them on 0845 010 9000

Back to top

If I am not happy with my Supplier who should I complain to?

In the first instance you should complain to the Supplier. They should have a complaints procedure. If you are still not happy then you can direct your complaint to Ombudsman Services at www.ombudsman-services.org

Back to top

What rate of VAT should I be charged for my gas or electricity?

VAT on electricity and gas for business is charged at the normal VAT rate applicable i.e. as of the 2nd April 2013 this rate is 20%. There are exceptions where businesses are charge VAT at a lesser rate (5%):

  • Businesses which meet the ‘De minimis’ requirements:
    • Use on average no more than 33kWh/day of electricity and/or less than 5 therms (145kWh/day) of gas;
  • Charitable Organisations

Back to top

What are FiT charges and why do I pay for them?

Owners of properties utilising micro-generation renewable technologies receive a subsidy for the energy they generate, this subsidy is paid for by adding a levy on every unit of energy bought by everyone who uses electricity. Up until April 2012, all electricity suppliers had to charge FiTs to their business and residential customers, but most suppliers billed the FiT levy as part of the unit rates, so it was in effect hidden in the bill. However, due to recent increases to the levy, some suppliers have decided to start passing the FiTs charges on to customers direct.

In order to provide you an accurate comparison we take the suppliers position on FiT charges into account when providing Annual Estimated Cost. Some suppliers include FiT charges in their unit rates and some separate out the FIT charges, we calculate the Annual Estimated Cost with FiT charges included in order to keep all things equal. Please note that you may be billed separately for FiT charges but this has been included in our Annual Estimated Cost.

Back to top

Will I lose supply, or will it be interrupted, if I switch?

No. Switching energy supplier does not affect the physical supply of electricity or gas to your premises.

Back to top

Will I need a new meter if I switch supplier?

No. All energy suppliers use standard metering.

Back to top

If my energy supplier goes out of business, will my electricity or gas be affected?

No. The physical supply of electricity or gas to your premises will continue.

Back to top

Do the prices displayed include VAT and Climate Change Levy (CCL)?

No. The prices displayed do not include VAT and CCL.

VAT on electricity and gas for business is charged at the normal VAT rate applicable, which is currently 20%. But there are some exceptions. Different CCL rates can apply to different businesses.

Back to top

How do you calculate my estimated savings?

We calculate your savings by comparing (a) what you’ve told us you pay and your consumption, with (b) the tariffs available to you, taking into account your credit check, your consumption levels, and your method of payment.

The estimated savings figures are representative only and not your actual savings. This is for a few reasons.

First, we estimate your consumption using an assumed rate of 12.225p/kWh for electricity and 5.021/pkWh for gas. This rate is sourced from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy’s average published gas and electricity prices for non domestic fuels costs dated December 2016 (table 3.4.1). Your actual rates may be much higher as, according to Ofgem, nearly 45% of all businesses are on ‘default’ or ‘deemed’ rates, with rates as high as 25p/kWh.

Second, your actual energy cost over a year is influenced by things we can’t predict. For example, the amount you spend on energy over the course of your new contract will be influenced by changes in the amount of energy you actually do use compared to your old contract.  If your tariff reduces, but you use more energy over a year, the total amount you spend may actually increase compared to prior periods.  Plus, if you’re switching to a standard variable tariff, your costs may increase during the term of your new contract.

Third, the estimated savings figures assume you pay your invoices on time and in full, using the payment method set out in your contract.

Fourth, some supplier’s tariffs include ‘clawback’ provisions that enable them to pass on any increases in the charges from distribution companies during your contract. If you’re keen to avoid these type of increases, its best to select a fully fixed rate tariff.

Finally, the calculation includes VAT and CCL.

Back to top

What is Price Match Guarantee, what qualifies and how can I claim a price match?

We’ll match the prices of any of our online competitors.

We’re so confident in our offers that if you find it cheaper that same day with one of our competitors, we’ll match it.

Click here to see if you qualify and how to price match.

Back to top

What are the supplier ratings, and how are they determined?

Our supplier star ratings are intended to give you an indication of the customer service provided by that supplier to its small business customers. A 5 star rating represents the best performance.

Unlike all other comparison sites in the UK, we do not simply apply complaint information published by Ofgem relating to domestic energy, as this can be very misleading when applied out of context.

Instead we’ve calculated these ratings by collecting feedback about that supplier regarding:

(a) performance in actually switching customers (do they make it easy?);

(b) their willingness to solve any problems that might arise in relation to a customer’s account (do they fix mistakes quickly?); and

(c) direct verbal or written feedback from actual verified customers who’ve switched to or are using that supplier (do customer’s rave about them?).

Where there is no rating shown, it is simply because we do not have sufficient information from customers regarding that supplier’s performance to calculate an accurate and fair result.

Back to top